Volcano Eruption in Indonesia on March 15 2019 03:29 PM (UTC).
A volcano on the Indonesian island of Bali erupted Friday, spewing a plume of ash and smoke more than 2,000 meters (6,500 feet) into the sky. Mount Agung, about 70 kilometers from the tourist hub of Kuta, has been erupting periodically since it rumbled back to life in 2017, sometimes grounding flights and forcing residents to flee their homes. The latest eruption shortly before noon on Friday shot a cloud of volcanic ash high into the sky, but caused no disruption to flights, Indonesia's geological agency said. Agung remained at the second highest danger warning level, and there is a four-kilometer no-go zone around the crater. Last summer, dozens of flights were canceled after Agung erupted, while tens of thousands of locals fled to evacuation centers after an eruption in 2017. The last major eruption of Agung in 1963 killed around 1,600 people. Indonesia is situated on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", a vast zone of geological instability where the collision of tectonic plates causes frequent quakes and major volcanic activity.
Bali's volcano of Mount Agung erupted Friday, spewing ash and hot lava that ran down 3 km from the crater, Indonesian authorities said. The eruption was recorded at 19:30 Central Indonesian Time (WITA), lasted for 4 minutes and 30 seconds, Indonesia's Center of Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation (PVMBG) said. "The ash column could not be observed. Thundering sounds from the eruption were heard adequately strong from the monitoring post," PVMBG said in a statement. The eruption also threw smoldering lava and pieces of stone into the air, fell in areas around 2.5-3 km from the summit. PVMBG said alert level on Mount Agung was set at Level III at present. Residents, trekkers, and tourists are strictly prohibited to be around the red zone areas set at 4 km away around Mount Agung summit. Residents who reside around the downstream of rivers upstreaming in the Mount Agung are advised to remain vigilant on the possible stream of hot lava or volcanic materials. Volcanic activities of the volcano located in the eastern side of Indonesia's resort island remained intense after the large eruption in 2017. Frequent mild eruptions have been reported in the last several months. Mount Agung eruption in November in 2017 has forced the authorities to close down the airport for several days, hampering tourism in Indonesia's ultimate destination. The volcanic disaster had forced over 43,000 residents in Bali's eastern regencies to refuge in shelters. Dozens of elder refugees died in the shelters due to the ensuing eruption.
Gunung Agung in Karangasem District, Bali, erupted again on Saturday (May 18) at 2:09 a.m. local time, spewing ash two thousand meters into the air from its peak, which is 5,142 meters above sea level. Made Rentin, the head of Bali's Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) Chief, stated in Denpasar on Saturday morning that according to data obtained from the Agung volcano monitoring post, the volcanic ash column was thick and gray and leaning in the east and southeast directions. The seismogram recorded this eruption as having a maximum amplitude of 25 mm and lasting for two minutes and 57 seconds. Rentin further noted that along with data on the eruption of the highest mountain on the Island of the Gods obtained from the Agung volcano monitoring post in Rendang, it also received a report from volunteers of Pasebayan, District of Karangasem. Rentin noted that Pesebayan volunteers had reported at 5:10 a.m. local time that Desa Ban, Kubu Subdistrict, Karangasem and its surroundings, including Cutcut Hamlets, Tongtongan, Bonyoh, and Temakung, were the areas exposed to the Mount Agung eruption. The PVMBG has also called on people living around Mount Agung as well as climbers, visitors, and tourists to not conduct any activities in the demarcated danger zone, specifically in all areas within a four-kilometer radius from Mount Agung's peak. The estimated danger zone is dynamic and under constant evaluation and can be changed at any time in line with the developments related to the most current or the latest Mount Agung observation data. Moreover, people residing and conducting activities along the river banks around the Gunung Agung have been urged to maintain vigil in case of possible secondary danger arising from lava rains that can occur particularly in the rainy season and if the eruption material is still exposed in the peak area. The land area of the lava rain follows the rivers upstream of Mount Agung.
Mount Agung on Indonesia's resort island of Bali erupted again early yesterday, spewing volcanic ash into the sky to a height of 2km, an official said. The volcano erupted about 3.21am, with authorities maintaining a four-kilometer exclusion zone around the mountain amid concerns of further explosions. No volcanic ash has reached the airport but the eruption has not affected Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali, with no current delays to flights. "Based on the result of a meeting, we chose to operate normally after considering data from all stakeholders", said airport spokesman Arie Ahsanurrohim in Denpasar on Sunday as quoted by Antara. A Jetstar spokeswoman said they were monitoring the situation but all alerts had been lifted and it was "business as usual". Holidayers were stuck in Bali for over a week after Mount Agung erupted and sent a thick volcanic ash cloud into the air, making it unsafe for planes to fly in or out. Two other volcanoes popular with tourists on the island of Java also continue to erupt. Mount Bromo in East Java and Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta remain on standby, with exclusion zones in place. Arie said based on flight meteorology observations at 10:30 a.m., no volcanic ash was found close to the airport. Foreign climbers in the past have ignored the danger zones and attempted to climb Mount Agung, causing rescuers to evacuate them.
Mount Agung volcano in Bali resort Island of central Indonesia on Sunday spewed a column of ashes by up to two km onto the sky, leaving rains of ashes, a disaster agency official said. Thousands of masks have been distributed to the communities amid the fears of the ashes impacting human respiratory, spokesman of national disaster management agency Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said. The eruption occurred at 08:23 a.m. local time with belching of ash and smoke heading southwest of the crater, he said. No halt of flight however took place at the I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport, said the official. Rains of ashes with an intensity ranging from thin to thick have been pouring down in the districts of Karang Asem, Klungkung and Bangli, he added. No report of casualty has so far been reached after the eruption, said Sutopo. Mount Agung alert status's remains at the second highest level with no-go zone at four km from the crater. Mount Agung is situated in Karangasem district and about 70 km from tourist hub Kuta. In its last eruption in 1963, more than 1,100 people were killed.
An eruption occurred in Mount Agung in Karangasem District, Bali, Friday, sending a nearly two thousand-meter-high flume of thick ash into the air from its peak, which is some 5,142 meters above sea level. The seismogram recorded that the eruption lasted for three minutes and 37 seconds and had a maximum amplitude of 22 mm, Made Rentin, the Bali disaster mitigation office head, stated here, Thursday. The eruption could be audible from the Rendang volcano observation post in Karangasem. The office has handed out face masks to the visitors at the Besakih Hindu temple. The authorities have maintained the volcano's alert status at level three and declared a danger zone within a four-kilometer radius of the crater. Those residing along the river banks around the volcano have also been urged to maintain vigil in case of possible secondary danger arising from lava rains.