Forest / Wild Fire in Australia on September 30 2018 08:53 AM (UTC).
Hikers were forced to run for their lives to escape an out-of-control bushfire in the Blackdown Tableland National Park at Rainbow Falls west of Rockhampton. Up to eleven people, including children, were rescued by ambulance crews after calling triple zero when they found themselves running from the blaze as it spread quickly around them. The group of eight adults and three children were treated for minor smoke inhalation and no one required transportation to hospital. Nicole Galea described the ordeal on Facebook saying she could feel the heat of the fire as she tried to escort the children to safety. They were located by a CQ Rescue helicopter then rescued by paramedics on the ground. Nicole Galea, another person trapped by the fire, wrote on Facebook about the rapid rise of the fire threat. "What started out as an awesome day with our BFFs enjoying a hike ... ended in us running for our lives after a fire started," she wrote. "What started as a small fire about 10-30 metres away on the trail, went up to half the mountainside in minutes. "Running with kids screaming, calling 000 as we ran, just keeping up with freaked kids, fire heat at our backs, deafening sounds and roar of the fire. "Praying for all the people who had already walked down to the falls. A central Queensland woman who was caught in the bushfire with her family says they were lucky to escape unharmed. Emerald woman Karley McGregor had just started walking the track with her family when the fire broke out. "We had visitors from NSW so we took them there for the day, so we had four adults and five kids," she said. About 800 metres down the track she noticed a small fire. "My husband tried to put it out, but within seconds it took off. Within a minute it was up the trees. We just grabbed the kids and we all just started running and screaming," she said. "My son was bawling his eyes out, he couldn't hear us over the crackling of the fire." "It just was that intense that quickly it just was above our heads up trees, just crawling up the hill. I was just having an instant mother moment where you just go 'well, if something's going to happen at least you're all together'... It was terrible, just terrible," she said Ms McGregor said when they got back to the carpark they warned everyone to leave. "We did our best but we learnt a lot today. I hope it doesn't happen again. It was very dry and it hasn't rained in ages," she said. Ms McGregor said they passed a young teenager on the track heading the opposite direction just before they spotted the fire.