Fire in Philippines on March 11 2018 05:57 AM (UTC).
Two tourists were rushed to hospital tonight after a horror fire ripped through bars in a packed red light district. Hundreds of revellers including British tourists were drinking in notorious Walking Street in Pattaya, Thailand, when there was a "large explosion" just after 10pm local time. Women were filmed screaming in terror as they fled into the street in high heels. Meanwhile the flames intensified behind them and there were a series of violent explosions. The blaze quickly spread to neighbouring bars as motorbikes parked on the street burst into flames. Dozens of bars in a plaza area became affected. One woman was heard saying "oh my god, what's happening" as sparks flew into the street and flames stretched into the night sky. Fire crews and paramedics arrived within minutes but motorbikes parked outside the bars which had already caught fire and exploded as well as electricity boxes in the street. Witnesses described hearing a "large explosion" followed by a fire breaking out, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical transformer. When contacted, the UK Foriegn Office were unable to confirm if any British tourists had been injured. Brit holidaymaker Andrew McKay, from Crawley, said: "I was drinking in the bar and smelt smoke. "In a few seconds people were screaming 'fire, fire'. "I grabbed my bottle and legged it. I was outside and it was just a matter of 10 or 20 seconds before the flames were everywhere. "All the girls, all the locals, they ran outside and away down the road. The fire engines came and it took them about 30 minutes to get it under control." Bar girl Noi Wattana said: "I'm so shocked, this was so scary. I just ran and the fire was so hot, I could feel it burning my skin. "I was choking on the smoke. It was like a nightmare. My clothes and handbag was in the bar and I had to leave it." Bar man Sakarin Khokkruat, 28, said: "I was working and heard a loud explosion next to the bar. Then there were flames everywhere. The flames were coming from an electrical transformer. "Then another explosion and more fire. "The tourists started running into the street and screaming. "We tried to put out the flames but they were too much." The injured tourists were taken to hospital. One was being treated for smoke inhalation and another for minor burns and smoke inhalation. Fire crews were tonight scouring the smouldering wreckage for signs of what caused the blaze.