Fire in India on February 24 2018 05:31 AM (UTC).
Panic spread after a major fire broke at a pharma chemical company in the industrial area of Jeedimetla on Friday morning. Seven persons sustained injuries. Flames went up to a few metres and smoke continued to billow from the factory, creating an alarming situation. Seven persons sustained injuries and it took eight fire tenders to douse the fire which broke out between 6.30 am and 7 am at Seutic Pharmaceuticals in the Jeedimetla area, a police official said. Following information about the fire by local people, fire fighters from various locations rushed to the place to bring the situation under control. "We received a call at 6:50 am and by 7 we were there and in the next half an hour, nine fire tenders from Jeedimetla, Sanath Nagar, Kukatpally, Madhapur, Secund-erabad, Shamirpet, Cherlapally and Moulali were deployed," said Jeedimetla Fire Station House Officer Sridhar Reddy. Chemical leak or reaction was most likely to be the reason of fire, said the official. Seutic Pharmaceuti-cals was a 24-hour work company. As a result, night shift workers were still in when the massive fire broke. "The fire rescue team evacuated around 20 workers and shifted the injured to the nearby private hospital. HazMat, a hazardous material apparatus rescue vehicle, was also called to the place to rescue" added the fire safety officials. The situation was under control in two hours, said the officials, adding that owing to the place bring a residential area, they circled the premise and acted impulsively. "We started the operation around 7 am and by 8:30 am, we managed to douse the flames," said Mr Reddy. Six persons who suffered burns in the fire accident were undergoing treatment at Apollo Hospital DRDO branch and hospital sources said their condition was critical. The victims were initially rushed to a nearby private hospital at Kompally, from where they were shifted to Apollo Hospital. The injured were identified as senior electrician B. Srinivas (36), maintenance supervisor K Simhachalam (32), shift incharge Kumara Swamy (39) and helpers Haren Khalkar (40), Sanjeeth Kumar (19) and Shyam Chauran Behra (30). While the first three were from Jeedimetla area, the rest from other States and had been working in the unit for the past few months. According to family members of the victims, all of them were on the first shift when the incident happened. They went to work as usual, but around 8 am, their families got the information of the accident and rushed to the unit, but could not get any details. "There were people all around and no one could give us any details about our people. We were worried initially," they said. Karun, younger son of Srinivas, said the hospital authorities said his father was recovering. Srinivas received 95 per cent burns, while Simhachalam had 91, Kumaraswamy 80, Sanjeeth Kumar 70, Haren Khalkar 65 and Shyam 35.