Fire in United Kingdom on December 18 2017 07:25 PM (UTC).
Two people have died and three more were treated in hospital after a fire took hold in a luxury hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond, Scotland. More than 200 guests were evacuated from the Cameron House hotel, near Balloch, as firefighters battled for about 12 hours to bring the blaze under control. Police Scotland confirmed one person died at the scene, while another died at the Royal Alexandra hospital in Paisley. The Scottish ambulance service said two adults and one child - believed to be members of the same family - were taken to the Queen Elizabeth University hospital in Glasgow. They were released on Monday afternoon. Police said some other guests were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. David McGown, the Scottish fire and rescue service's assistant chief officer, said: "Our deepest condolences are with everyone who has been affected by this morning's tragic events." The fire had been brought under control by Monday evening, he said, praising the firefighters for their professional response. The alarm was raised shortly before 7am after the fire took hold in the main building of the hotel complex, the Scottish ambulance service said. "We dispatched four ambulances, our special operations response team and the trauma team to the scene," a spokeswoman added. The hotel, which is on the west bank of the loch - about 17 miles north-west of Glasgow - said it would remain closed for at least two days. The BBC reported some staff members had only learned about the fire when they turned up for their shifts at the five-star hotel on Monday morning. One worker told the broadcaster she did not believe reports of the blaze until she saw it for herself. "It's a really lovely hotel, I'm so sorry to see this," she said. The hotel is one of the most luxurious in Scotland and has been used as a base by the Scottish national football team. It is also a popular wedding venue and houses the Michelin-starred Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond restaurant. A police spokeswoman said: "Officers ... are working with other emergency services to establish the exact circumstances of the incident ... A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal."