Explosion in India on April 10 2016 03:50 AM (UTC).
As many as 86 people died, including women and children, and at least 200 were injured in an explosion during a fireworks display, which was allegedly conducted flouting the norms, at Puttingal temple in Paravur. The condition of the injured, who were taken to the Thiruvananthapuram Medical College hospital and Kollam district hospital, is said to be critical and the death toll is expected to rise. Police are trying to identify the victims, while rescue operations led by the police and locals still continuing. Prime minister Narendra Modi and Kerala chief minister Oommen Chandy will reach Paravur soon to take stock of the situation. CM Chandy, who will reach Paravur by 11am, has directed chief secretartary to get permission from Election Commission for providing financial assistance to the victims. He also has instructed the Health minister V.S Siva Kumar to supervise arrangements at TVPM Medical College. The incident took place at 3.30am after a shed that housed the explosives at the Puttingal temple caught fire when shreds of the fire works fell on it. The fireworks feat was conducted violating strict prohibitory order, said MLA G.S. Jayalal. The accident site turned into horrible scene with mutilated bodies and body parts strewn all around. The hospital authorities struggled to attend the injured since there were few staff as it was a Sunday. Eyewitness said that the fireworks display started close to midnight and when nearing its close, a spark from a cracker landed in a building that had stored some powerful crackers and it caught fire causing a massive explosion. "The normal practice is to store powerful crackers in the building and from there it's taken to the place where their is light. A spark from a live cracker landed in the building that stored these massive crackers," Kunjumon, a local believer, said. Following this, the building collapsed and that was the prime reason for the number of casualties to increase. Pictures from Puttingal temple in Kollam (Kerala) when fire broke out, that claimed 75 lives, 200 injured.