Biological Hazard in South Africa on April 13 2017 06:40 AM (UTC).
NSRI Shelly Beach, NSRI Port Edward and Police Search and Rescue were activated following reports of a scuba diver, a 68-year-old German citizen, missing during a dive at the Northern Pinnacle, Protea Banks yesterday afternoon. According to fellow divers, of a group of people on a charter scuba dive had been surfacing when the man disappeared. The NSRI Shelly Beach sea rescue craft Caltex Challenger and Spirit of Dawn, the NSRI Port Edward sea rescue craft Wild Coast Sun Rescuer and a Police Search and Rescue boat launched to join a search operation already underway by multiple private boats and by charter boats. The coordinated search included the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA), MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre), NSRI Durban and Telkom Maritime Radio Services. The SA Police Services, Med-Evac ambulance services and Hibiscus Fire and Rescue Services also responded, and stood by at the NSRI Shelly Beach sea rescue base. A Natal Sharks Board fixed wing aircraft was placed on alert and the NSRI Air Sea Rescue and an SA Air Force 15 Squadron Augusta helicopter were also activated. An extensive drift pattern and sweeping line search operation was conducted using the three sea rescue craft, the Police Search and Rescue boat, private boats, private fishing boats, and charter boats. In addition, police divers conducted a scuba search. During the search the remains of the body of the man, believed to have been bitten by a shark, were located by crew of a private fishing boat. The body was brought to shore by a sea rescue craft and has been taken to Forensic Pathology Services. Police have opened an inquest docket. A body, believed to be that of a missing diver from Germany, has been recovered. This according to dive master Beulah Mauz of African Dive Adventure. Two sources have told the South Coast Herald that the man had been attacked by sharks. However, Ms Mauz said the National Sea Rescue Institute had not released any information about the probable cause of the diver's death. The South Coast Herald has not yet received a report from the NSRI.